Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Week 8 Readings


Steven Krug’s final chapter “Help my boss wants me to _______” was one of my favorite chapters because he lays out how to explain to the upper brass in a company why their ideas may not be the best for the website that you are developing for them. I agree with his reasoning that too much personal data is invasive and makes me feel dubious of the website I am visiting when they are asking for this excessive information. “Are they selling this info? Will I get tons of spam?” these are some questions that come to mind when I am asked for more that the essentials in terms of personal data. I also agree with the notion that upper brass wants websites to have excessive pizzaz when this is not always necessary. The extra flashy elements can be a distraction as  well as increase load times for web pages. I like how Steve used a generic email format to address these questions. It seems that these two problems are very common and having dealt with a boss that wants something added to what you are designing that is not necessarily in sync with the design that you have been developing and having to tell them this is difficult.



No comments:

Post a Comment